Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankful Day 12

I grew up in the desert southwest where trees are few and far between.  Cactus yes, trees not so much.  When we moved to the east coast 12 years ago it was a big adjustment for me.  There were trees EVERYWHERE!  I had no sense of direction and was very irritated that I couldn't see what was behind those dang trees. But then the most amazing thing happened...Fall!  We have seasons in the southwest but its more like summer, football, winter, summer.  I had never experienced the beauty of seeing the leaves change colors.  The only thing I can relate it to is the gorgeous sunsets we have in the desert.
We have 3 maple trees in the front yard.  The first one turns to a rich red, the second one turns a glowing orange and the third turns a bright yellow.  I love to watch them change colors.  In the mornings there is this amazing orange light that comes through the windows.  I love to take my coffee cup and stand and stare until the sun moves enough to change light. I can say that as much as I love the southwest I adore the fall season on the east coast.  I may not love all the work that the leaves bring me but then we wouldn't have the annual leaf jumping after a good workout of raking.  Today I am thankful for those dang trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment